Mutton curry is a spicy dish made with chunks of goat meat. This dish is originally made in an earthen pot and cooked on slow flame over a wooden fire. If you are short of time then you can order mutton online for home delivery. Online delivery has made it very easy for you to order anything from anywhere.
This dish can be made in different variations but if you are short of time and want to make mutton curry, you should follow the below-mentioned steps:
Wash mutton cubes and make sure that there is no excess moisture in the mutton. When the mutton gets dried completely, add marinades i.e.
2 teaspoons of ginger and garlic paste
1 teaspoon of salt
4 teaspoons of yoghurt
2 teaspoons of olive oil
½ teaspoon of turmeric
Now, mix the spices well with the mutton and keep them for 2 hours to marinate.
Now take a bowl and add 3 chopped onion, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, 2 cloves, black cardamom, 2-3 green cardamom, an inch of cinnamon stick, turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chilli, salt, a generous amount of ginger, and a little bit of garlic and along with 3 green chilli. Then, add 2-3 tablespoons of oil and add black pepper. Don’t forget to add tender coriander stems. Now, make it all a fine paste.
Take a heavy bottom pan. Heat oil and add 2 whole dried red chilli with 2-3 cloves to give flavour. When the oil heats up, add the marinated mutton. Do not stir mutton pieces as soon as you add them to the pan. Let them cook for some time till the shade becomes darker. Do not close the lid because instead of cooking it gets boiled if the lid is closed. As soon as the mutton starts getting darker shade, flip it to another side.
Once cooked on both sides add the paste which is mentioned in step 2. Cook the paste gradually with mutton and stir the mixture once in a while. Add mustard oil to the mixture. Do not add tomatoes in mutton. It can’t be added to every dish, especially in mutton.
In the end, you have to stir it continuously because it would turn jammy. Add beaten curd to avoid lumps and don’t worry about curdling. Simply stir the mixture and wait for 5-7 minutes to get the ghee separated from the mixture.
Add chopped coriander. The onion will still not be cooked. Cook the onions till you get the smell of cooked coriander. Do not completely cook the masala because later it loses its flavour. The masala should start releasing flavour when the mutton gets cooked.
Take a pressure cooker and add 2 cups of water with salt. When the masala is cooked 60-70% and mutton is cooked 50-60%, transfer the mixture to a pressure cooker. Close the lid of the cooker and use half a whistle of what it takes to cook complete mutton. For example mutton takes 4-5 whistles to completely cook, then 3 whistles will make it done.
Now, prepare the dry masala till the whistle comes from the cooker. For dry masala you need
½ tablespoon of Black pepper
5-6 large black cardamom
2-4 small green cardamom
1 tablespoon dry fenugreek leaves (Kasuri methi)
Salt to taste
Now fry all these in a pan without oil till it gets to a dark colour and grind it finely.
Once the pressure is released, add a big tablespoon of dried masala which we prepared and let it mix with the curry. Leave mutton for 15 minutes to get its flavour to settle down.
Add chopped coriander leaves to the mutton curry, mix it well, and serve your easy-to-make mutton which tastes so delicious and yummy.
Some tips to make the best mutton curry-
- It is very important to choose the best cuts of mutton. If the quality of mutton is poor then you can’t make the best mutton curry even with this easy-to-make recipe.
- Adding a pinch of sugar, if you like can enhance the taste and colour of the dish
- Add a spoon of store-bought chicken masala at the end to enhance the flavour of mutton curry.
- Avoid too much use of kasuri methi, coriander leaves, or even ginger and garlic.
- Cook mutton in its own water and add only a small amount of water if required.
- Do not add acidic ingredients like lemon and tomatoes.
- Always marinate mutton before cooking to save the time of cooking and make sure the pieces of mutton are of the same size.
- Use cuts of mutton which are tender and flavourful. Some choices are the front leg and shoulder. It adds flavour.
- You can use vinegar to tenderise the mutton instead of using oil.
- You may boil mutton before as well with salt, turmeric, chilli powder, and water. This is a shortcut way.
This easy-to-make recipe is going to make you crazy because it is going to taste amazing with not much hard work and in less period of time. Always use fresh and good-quality mutton. With digitalization, you may get fresh mutton and even fresh water fish online at affordable prices and free home delivery. Pair this mutton curry with rice or naan and this would have all your heart.